07 July 2007

Brown Stonefly strikes again...

The brown Stonefly nymph in the post below is amazing. It catches all sorts of fish.

 

Today we were at the lake trying to hook one of many trout that were swirling around figuring out the hierarchical pecking order between themselves (what is that activity called?). We pulled out a few rainbow trout and I hooked a 40cm fish, but it escaped when we tried to land it. I then had a go with the fly rod and instead of the trout biting, I got bites straight away from some perch that were in the shallows.


I was aiming at the small fish to get my eye in before going for the trout, but I hooked a few of these little fighters. I was quite surprised. I let them get on with their business, but failed after that to even land a trout.

Funny day indeed.

More info on the Perch (Perca fluviatilis):
Wikipedia (English): European perch
Wikipedia (French): Perche commune

No comments:

Post a Comment