04 April 2011

Hardy #7 "Graphite Smuggler Deluxe" 9'5" fly rod


The first easy-to-transport rod produced by Hardy was the Travellers' combined fly and spinning rod, made between 1956 and 1963. The 5-piece rod was made up of sections 26" long and it made up a 8'10" fly rod or 6'10" spinning rod with a thicker tip section.

The glass fibre Smuggler fly rod was introduced in 1969. The 4-piece rod sections were 26" long and it made up a 8' rod with the patented spigot ferrules connecting the rod together.

In 1981 carbon fibre replaced glass. Three Smuggler rods were produced: a 6-piece 7', a 7-piece 8'2½" and 8-piece 9'5".

This is the  #7 "Graphite Smuggler Deluxe" 9'5" fishing rod. SN: IKS89370. The rod was a little grubby when I bought it, but here it is after a wash.

The only issue with the rod is the end socket of the No.5 section (above right). It had been damaged at some point - perhaps whilst a previous owners was trying to get a stuck spigot ferrules out. The spigot ferrules shouldn't be stuck in too hard as they do jam up. Some candle wax applied to the spigot ferrules will help them hold whilst gently connected. Re-apply a little wax every couple of fishing trips.

I'll send the rod off to Hardy to see if it is worth getting the rod repaired in their customer services department. I'm sure that I could do it myself, but I don't have the right whipping thread and I'm sure my epoxy will come out differently. It will work, but it my not look as good as the original. Hardy must be geared up to fix this common problem.

I now have a very nice brand new dark blue 16" Hardy Cordura rod tube to keep this rod safe and sound for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment