24 March 2008

My favourite way of cooking Trout

Trout is a very delicate fish and it has to be cooked with care. The bones spoil the pleasure of eating this tasty fish so why not fillet the fish removing all the bones. If you leave a couple of pin bones, it won't be too bad as these are quite soft and can be swallowed.


I fillet the trout, removing all bones and the skin. Then place the fillets in a shallow dish and add a generous dose of lemon juice and a good quantity of olive oil. I crush a few cloves of garlic and add that to the fish. Try and get the marinade to cover all parts of the fish. I cover the dish well with plastic-wrap and keep in the refrigerator overnight.





After at least 12 hours in the fridge, you could probably eat this fish just like this as a Carpaccio, but lightly cooking it brings out more of the trout flavours.



The next day get the fish out, carefully scrape off excess marinade and prepare the serving platter. I lay the fish on a bed of seasonal salad. Here we are using Mâche (Corn salad).



I lightly brown some Almond flakes in a dry pan over the heat and melt a generous amount of butter in a larger pan. I add about some dried Thyme to the butter. I actually did this an hour before cooking the fish so Thyme infused into the butter. The fish is cooked two minutes before serving and it cooks for two minutes. Turning once or twice gently.



Served on the Winter cress and garnished with the roasted Almonds, the trout is delicious. Tender, light and tasty.


1 comment:

  1. I will e-mail the salt and pepper! Yum!

    ReplyDelete