22 March 2008

Start of the 2008 season

We woke at 06:15 and headed off to Conty. It was snowing outside and the temperature was 1° C. I doubted that there would be any fish taking the bait. The fishermen of Conty were out in force. We saw a few guys on the river, but the water seemed murky and fast moving as the river was swollen after a week of rain. So we decided to head for the lakes.

The water was bleak and it was cold and damp with the occasional snowflake falling through the drizzle. We arrived on time for the opening at 07:30. The weather cleared a little over the next couple of hours, but it remained cold.



Before I had my rod set up and baited, Tom had caught a little Rainbow trout weighing 280g. Tom was cold even though he had quite a few layers of clothing and he was wanting to get home so just after 09:00 we decided to go. I had one last cast, as one does... Guess what I hooked on that last cast! This beauty:



47 cm long and 1270g Rainbow trout. Probably the biggest fish I've caught at Conty to date. We took a few photos and packed up. Home by 09:30. Now we have some nice trout to fillet for Easter Sunday lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment