05 October 2009

The blog is not dead - Neither am I

I haven't been fishing this year. Just too busy with other projects.

The last few weeks - at the end of Summer and the fishing season, I've become obsessed with fly rods and reels - it's like a drug.

Although I have some really nice cane rods and some excellent carbon rods, I'm still after better cane and I'm still looking at expensive carbon... why oh why?

Reels are even worse. I think that I've bloged about the futility of fly reels - hey this is not Salmon fishing or Permit fishing where performance reels are really needed. We unwind our line and cast it, often not even using the reel when a fish is landed. Why then the obsession with spending a fortune on a machined masterpiece. No logic in that at all, but I still want a better one...

I'm after an authentic usable CC de France (Casting Club de France) Hardy cane rod. Between 7 and 8 feet for stream fishing. And a nice reel to go with it.

Then I'm after a Hardy Swift MkII, probably the Swift MK II 975 H00005 model that is 98mm in diameter. The Hardy Marksman 4/5 or the Marksman 5/6 would also be good with a matching nice new carbon rod.

Still dreaming ....

1 comment:

  1. It was time for me to change my fly reel this year. My old reel still worked fine but after about 20 years using the same gear I felt I deserved a new fly reel.

    I broke the reel in on the Cains River New Brunswick on my first two Atlantic salmon of the year.

    It was also the only time I go out fly fishing this year as I was busy with new fishing friends that just aren't that into fly fishing yet.

    ReplyDelete