22 June 2007

Fly fiesta !

I have been scanning some of my flies. As you see, these are old salmon flies. I've printed them out in hi-resolution and now they are framed and posted around the house. These are low resolution images... if anyone is interested in the big files, drop me a line.

Firstly, a Shrimp of sorts, hook 28mm long:




Some old Dee salmon flies, hooks 30mm and 40mm long:



Old Dee or Spey salmon fly, hook 40mm long:



Below, a Toppy, a very early pattern described by William Scrope in Days and Nights of Salmon Fishing on the Tweed (1843), together with a Toppy variant. Hooks 45mm and 50mm long:



The rest of this little collection that belonged to the previous owner of a JJS Walker Bampton rod that I now have in my possession. Some of the doubles and trebles look quite ferocious:

 


Here is a box of flies. I haven't touched it since it came earlier in the Spring as it looks interesting as is in a random sort of way. One or two salmon flies, but mostly trout flies. All in a Richard Wheatley box that was made for Hardy Brothers:

2 comments:

  1. Nice flies!! Do you still fish them too? Ever see the Joseph D. Bates book "Streamers and Bucktails" ?

    It's worth the eBay price and has tons of VERY fine patterns, it's the de-facto authority on them.

    Thanks! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Do you still fish them too"

    Not yet, but I shall. I'm not a collector, but I do value what I have. I'll wait until I find a spot where I'm not likely to loose flies in the trees, then I'll test a few of these. Next time I'm in Scotland, I'll take them with me ;-)

    ReplyDelete