05 June 2007

Vintage flies

Whilst on the topic of vintage fishing tackle and prices, why not talk about vintage flies and how much they are worth. What is the value of a particular fly? An old design can always be made again - right? So is it worthwhile or wise to spend money on old vintage flies?


How can you put a value on flies? Can you test the fungi, rot and mildew? Are some old patterns not made any more? Are certain flies tied in a certain way? Is there a surplus value on the old in some cases?


I recently picked up a collection of old salmon flies. I based my decision to buy on the price of modern flies and I think that I got a good deal. They are about 50 years old so is this good? We'll see if they catch fish. Or else they just may end up in a framed box on the wall...

1 comment:

  1. I think we cheat ourselves out of a lot of enjoyment when we relate our purchases to their possible resale value. If the flies are beautiful and bring you pleasure would you not plan to keep them forever? Then pay whatever price feels good and allows you to enjoy the beauty of the flies for ever.

    ReplyDelete